Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's A New Month

OK, so a new month is not the same as a new year but it doesn't mean it can't be a new chance to do things differently or change up a routine that may be obsolete or detrimental in some way.  This month has thirty-one days in it, which gives a person one more day than the usual thirty in which to affect a change of some kind.
Should the change be physical?  Behavioral?  Relational?  Spiritual? Geographical? Career-related?  All of the above? 

March is the perfect month to examine and consider new possibilities and to re-examine current and old methodologies, habits, affiliations, associations, and practices.  I'm considering dropping my ages-old daily newspaper delivery for an e-paper subscription.  Note I used the word considering.  The offer is good for the month of March and it will probably take me that long to even consider going without my cherished daily paper.  I'm also considering stopping a few other periodical subscriptions that I've carried for thirty years or more.  It just seems like a good time to divest of the old and embrace the new.

I also realize that change doesn't necessarily mean dropping an activity or an established routine.  It can mean adding a new activity or establishing a new habit.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll finally learn how to tie nautical knots and then still remember what I've learned thirty minutes later.  Maybe I'll tackle sewing a garment with one of those new-fangled patterns put out by Simplicity, Butterick or McCalls.  I've been told that modern patterns look totally different from when I last created a garment from scratch.  I've been meaning to try my hand a quilting, too.  So many possibilities and an entire month in which to ponder said possibilities.

I need March to come like the lion she is so I can concentrate on tackling March like a lioness.  I need the wind to blow sharply against my face and make my body bend forward to counter the wind's energy trying to push me backwards.  I need the remaining frigid air to remind me that I should move faster when I'm out-of-doors.  I need March, April and part of May in which to accomplish my great winter task before warm weather calls Capt. SO and I to the Aqua RV.  I need March to remind me that there is an end to winter and all of the frustrations this past (and current) winter has brought. 

I need March to kick me into gear, realizing that there are only about seventy-five days until bathing-suit season. 

Now there is a depressing thought.  Maybe I'd rather return to February!

Ancora imparo