Monday, March 7, 2011

No Secrets

Have you noticed how good the internet is at tracking who you are, what you are interested in, what you "say", what you blog about, what types of on-line purchases you make?  Personally, I find this "Big-Brother-Is-Watching-Me-From-the-Cloud" concept disconcerting, unsettling and a bit unnerving.

It is not uncommon to receive purchase-type-related junque emails after, for instance, I've purchased, say, thumb tacks, glue sticks, Velcro and a staple gun needed to re-upholster my footstool from childhood.  Now, I do not have a footstool from childhood and I've never purchased said products online, but I'll wager a bet that once I post this email, I will receive advertisement paragraphs on the right side of my blog featuring some of the very items I listed.  Yes, the internet is that scary and that instant.

I am also perturbed and a bit insulted to now be getting junque emails about nursing home insurance, hip replacement surgery, dentures, hair-coloring products to cover gray, and, the latest insufferable affront - denture information.  All true.  Emails about all of the aforementioned have come across my inbox in the last year. 

What can be next?  Ads or emails about facial hair removal, facelift surgery information, liposuction procedures,  plastic surgeon advertisements, drivers license renewal refresher courses, adult diaper coupons, wrinkle reduction creams, rocking chair carpenters?  Is there anything the internet doesn't track?  If I ever get to draw Social Security before the Great Illusionist and his cronies do away with it, I'm certain that a new wave of age-related junque emails will flow my way. 

Yes, there are no secrets from Uncle Sam, his Cloud, and the Keepers of the Cloud.  Perhaps, one day, our computers will become our alarm clocks.  When we don't log on at a certain time that our past practices have established, the Cloud Enforcers will come a-knocking either at our real door or our virtual door. 

I'm changing my locks.

Ancora imparo