Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Leadership Thoughts

Over the past two-plus years, I've written a fair amount about leadership.  Why?  I guess because, due to the career paths I've taken, I've almost always been in a position where I had to "lead" groups of people.  Some groups have been small - like fifteen to twenty, others have been relatively large, say in the seventy-to-ninety-member size.  Large, at least in my limited frame of reference.  My group-leading experience has been split almost fifty/fifty between adults and students (in the range of fifth grade through college-age).  I have discovered that about the only difference between people twelve through seventy-five-plus years of age is the actual chronology, some height variances, the right to vote and the possession of  a driver's license.  The ability to hear or listen is similar and attention spans are almost identical.

So, why write about "leadership" again?  Two things precipitated this return-to-topic.  First, someone recently asked me if I thought "So and So" was a "good" leader.  I responded that the word "good" was highly subjective and that what was "good" to one person could be unacceptable to another.  That was my "snake-oily" answer - politically correct, safe, inane, and innocuous. Secondly, my outdated-but-cherished, hard-copy Franklin Planner has what is called "Leadership"-themed pages and I always read the quote regarding leading above each day's page.  Tomorrow's page has a quote from Theodore M. Hesburgh, President Emeritus of the University of Notre Dame:  "The very essence of leadership is that you have vision.  You can't blow an uncertain trumpet." 

Dr. Hessburgh is so very correct.  Leading requires the strength to blow the trumpet and the good sense to know when, where, how long, and how much volume is required.  Leading requires persistence, humility, forthrightness, the ability to apologize when warranted, and the good sense when to acquiesce.  Leading can be invigorating at times, almost debilitating at others, but never, never boring.  Leading requires a continual positive demeanor, even when the leader is withering inside.  Leaders can be tired but should never display their tiredness.  Leaders are not always popular but must be respected.  Above all else, leaders must respect those they lead.  Respect is a two-way street. 

Some of think we can lead and others actually can.  Kitchen heat can be unbearable so if those of us who lead can't stand the heat, we all know what should happen.

I'm buying the most accurate thermometer I can afford.

Ancora imparo