Friday, March 18, 2011

A Hopeless Case

Over the years, my computer literacy has grown and, therefore, probably improved, albeit exponentially minimally.  I can say that I have learned to "save" often, saving myself lots of heartache, reduced the number of unprintable words being uttered from my mouth, and protected multiple computers from certain ruination by death of throwing.  I have Capt. SO to thank for this.  It is through his repeated caveats that I have become a "saver" of all things entered into my laptop.

What I still struggle with, and may never get right, is whether something requires one or two mouse clicks.  Oh, this is not for lack of instruction from Capt. SO.  In fact, he has repeatedly told me the difference over the years, but to no avail. Just this morning, I was reminded of my inability to remember this difference when I performed some action in Outlook and happened to use my index finger twice instead of once and ended up with two identical screens open. 

Fortunately, this type of repeated brain glitch will never hurt anyone or anything.  It is just a matter of trial and error.  If one click doesn't get me to where I need to go, then I'll try two.....or vice versa. If two clicks don't work, then I'll go to Plan B, which is one click.  With this simple strategy I can never go wrong, unless the software industry makes changes to protocols and then I'm simply screwed.  I can see it all now.  I'll have to have Post-it notes pasted everywhere with instructional cues scribbled on them.  Or I'll need twice-daily tutorials from Capt. SO, which will not be popular with him.

Actually, I don't understand my brain's inability to grasp this seemingly simply concept.  Although, come to think of it, there does seem to be a theme here.  I've had my "new" cell phone now for almost a year and I still cannot remember some of the paths necessary to accomplish certain actions.  It is as if the phone is a virgin in my hands every time I open it up to either enter a new contact, edit an existing one, find a contact to send a text to, etc.........  I still cannot remember how to move a picture posted on some website to my thumb drive.

How have I ever managed to run a washing machine or a dishwasher?  Well, I can answer that question.  Survival.

I'm also realizing that we've owned one of our vehicles for almost seven years and I still can't remember how to do certain things with the radio, use cruise control, change my seat-control adjustments, or move the steering wheel up or down.

On a positive note, I  use a manual toothbrush and I am a pretty decent baker.  Guess I'll have to settle for those life-successes!

Ancora imparo