Thursday, March 3, 2011

Our Secret

Depending on the circle of people one is with, it is either very hip to watch American Idol or very uncool.  I haven't been a consistent watcher for a number of years, usually choosing to begin watching somewhere after the top ten have been decided.  If you promise not to tell anyone, I actually watched (DVD recorded) the men's and the women's live performances the past two nights.  I had read that the talent was really strong this year and I wanted to see and hear for myself, if this was the case.

I do realize that there is world strife, huge unrest on American soil and that the pop culture triviality of American Idol is monumental.  However, it was entertaining, albeit painful at times. Some of the contestants are downright talented and others.......well.......

My favorite comic strip, "Get Fuzzy" by Darby Conley, had content today that could be describing less-than-stellar singing.  While Conley's character, Rob, is having a discussion about national anthems with Bucky Katt, the description could very well be about singers, in general.  Let's face it, not all of the contestants on American Idol are created vocally equal.  While I give them all huge credit for pursuing their dreams to become singing sensations, it is obvious that some sound better than others.  Today, Bucky B. Katt has an apt description for bad national anthems or not-so-good singers:  "You keep waiting for the real bit to start but it never does.  It sounds like Chopin drank a bottle of cough syrup and dozed off while writing notes.......and forget melody.  It's like someone plotted the flight of a moth on a music staff.  Aimless."

Harsh?  Maybe but true and quite funny.  Bucky Katt hits the musical nail on the head regarding national anthem and this translates to singers as well.  There are just some singers that make you want to put your fingers in your ears when they begin.....and then there are others that you would pay to listen to.......which I do dearly through my cable provider.

Will I watch A.I. again this season?  Possibly.......just don't tell anyone!

Ancora imparo