Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Trouble With Cookies

Cookies are problematic for many people, aren't they?

They get deposited to the strangest places. They come from many different directions. Cookies mess up your system and, if you carry around too many, everything moves slowly.

Oh! I'm sorry. Did you think that I meant electronic, web-type cookies? No, no! I'm talking cookies; peanut butter, oatmeal-raisin, sugar, chocolate chip, double-chocolate macadamia, macaroons..............literally hundreds, maybe thousands of cookie-types.

My trouble with cookies is that I like to eat them. I try not to make cookies very often because I know I have this inborn weakness for them. I keep my cookie fetish in check by simply not keeping the sweet treats in my house. A cookie is to me as an alcoholic beverage is to an AA member. I seldom make them, but when I do have to (or choose to, as a food psychologist would surely point out to me) I can usually keep my unrestricted urges to one or two cookies ingested. Once the cookies have cooled, I have to freeze them quickly in order to keep my hand from sneaking into the cookie jar. Or, as frequently happens, the cookies are for a specific purpose and get removed from the condo immediately.

Today, however, was truly a disastrous caloric day. My internal governor became somehow disabled and the heart-shaped sugar cookies that I baked literally leaped into my hands and, somehow, found their way into my mouth. I cannot explain this phenomenon. I think I read about this malady once in a romance novel. It is called "cookie-to-mouth" disease. I don't even want to think about how many useless calories I let into my body. Worse yet, I don't want to think about how many hours it will take me on the treadmill to work off the cookie calories.

Let's see...............hmmmm. I'll do the math.

Oh, this is not good.

Obviously, NOT Ancora Imparo!