Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New Tricks For The Old Dog

Kicking and screaming into the electronic age? That may be me.

My significant other and I are looking at cancelling our cable service. Now, on the surface, that doesn't seem too difficult. Just make the phone call, you say?

There are alternative ways to receive internet service and we own one of those. A little "air card". OK. That is objection No. 1 overcome. One for him and purchase another for me.

There is the obvious alternative to a "land line" - the cell phone and we are set up for that. OK. That is objection No. 2 overcome.

Objection No. 3: Cable television service. Hmmm. We don't watch a lot television, but much of what we do enjoy is produced by a cable network.

It turns out that two of the three traditional networks have full episode players available. And, after an afternoon of research, most, if not all, of the cable networks have full episode players available as well. So, Objection No. 3 can be overcome, too. Leaving our cable service entirely will mean that our ancient analog television will need a converter box. Yes, I am embarrassed to admit that our television is the "fat" kind, that is about two feet deep. We don't exactly go running into buy the newest electronic gadgets, as you can see. We both own laptops with small"ish" screens. I guess I can get used to seeing two-week old episodes of shows on a small computer screen. Sure - I think.........................

It is just that change is hard. You get used to a routine way of doing a task or experience, then comes a new routine. New buttons to push, new procedures, new sequences. This old dog learns slowly when it comes to electronics or anything that is remotely mechanical. Ouch.

New, new, new. I think I like vinyl records, rotor telephones, and fat televisions on wire racks with giant rabbit ears. That's the dinosaur talking again.

Am I "ancora imparo"?