Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sign Readin'


The signs of approaching cold weather are everywhere and brought yet another song to mind.   In 1971, a Canadian rock band named the Five Man Electrical Band (formerly named The Staccatos) had a Billboard hit single called "Signs".  The refrain has been running in my head all day. 

Sign, sign everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Trees outside my office window, which one were densely leafed, are now barren, simply organized stick-mazes.  Their defoliation seems to have happened overnight, although I know that it was a gradual process. 

My floors are colder than normal and my feet recognize the change.  I am no longer able to go sock-free indoors for extended periods of time without my feet becoming uncomfortably cold.  Rooms with carpeting are more luxurious on my pieds than those with hardwood and tile.  Laundry baskets are filled with Smart Wool socks of every color, thickness, and design.  I should buy stock in the SmartWool company.   

Store and home decorations are resplendent with pumpkins, scarecrows, gourds, bales of hay, squash, witches, ghosts and goblins.  Store sale flyers are in every newspaper, online and in the mail announcing pre-winter season sales and specials.  Television ads for Halloween costumes and Halloween-themed television episodes appear on almost every commercial break.

My clothes closet is now a clear sign that warm, summer weather is over.  Gone are the shorts, sleeveless shirts, brightly colored garments and sundresses.  In their place are long pants, long-sleeved tops, sweaters, muted colors favoring blacks, grays, and burgundy.  My snow boots now sit where my sandals once did and my winter jackets are all in place.

My crockpot is pulled into action each week, turning out tasty soups and chilli.  Warm apple cider with a cinnamon stick and teas are now the favored evening beverages, replacing iced drinks. 

The signs for weather that I am not fond of are numerous.  They are breakin' my mind.

Ancora imparo