Monday, October 10, 2011

Little Things

It is amazing how little things can grab our attention, calm our nerves, sooth our soul, brighten our spirits, and tickle our funny bones.  Even though I have been awake, upright and functioning for only nine hours, I have experienced all of the aforementioned. 

Mid-morning, as I was driving on a rural Wisconsin highway and hoping for vivid fall colors, I was feeling disappointment at every mile I passed.  The colors all blended together in one muted collage of bright yellows fading to pale yellow.  Suddenly, upon rounding a curve, the splendid and brilliant hues of a grove of maple trees came into view, far enough away that I could enjoy their beauty for almost two miles. 

My attention was grabbed and my soul was soothed.

I had an unexpected treat-to-beat-all-treats this morning when I had the opportunity to Skype (video chat) with the Three Musketeers.  As in teaching - when one really good day could carry me for weeks - the time spent seeing their faces and hearing their excited voices as we shared "show and tell" will remain in my visual and auditory memory until I get to see them face-to-face in a couple of weeks. 

Spirit-brightening for sure!

For some reason, unknown to me, I arrived home from my drive to Wisconsin a bit mentally discombobulated.  There was no logical reason for my discombobulation but it was there, nonetheless.  Brewing a fresh cup of coffee was the only action I could think that could sooth my troubled mind and calm the internal unrest. 

Mission accomplished.

Lastly, as I was enjoying my early-afternoon cup-a-joe, I signed on to the internet and found an email from a department store that promised a $5.00-off coupon if I answered a few questions.  I figured I could use five bucks any day so I answered the queries on the survey.  When I had concluded the survey part of the email, there were a few questions to determine demographics, which I did not mind answering since none of them were personally intrusive.......but, it was seriously depressing yet funny-bone humorous that, when the last bit of information was posed and I had to input the year of birth, my sidebar cursor had to scroll almost all of the way down my screen to locate the year in which I was born. 

Funny-bone tickling.........I guess. 

Ancora imparo