Monday, October 24, 2011

But Will I Listen Next Time?

Occasionally my foolishness comes back to bite me in the derriere and this morning I lost at least half of my posterior I was so foolish.  In a hurry to eat something, I opened up the refrigerator door and cast an eye over its contents.  I almost grabbed the egg carton, going to my standard eggwhite something-or-other and then I spied the Rubbermaid 9X13 inch container.  Big mistake.  The minute I saw the pan of left-over lasagne, my brain was hooked and no matter how hard I tried, I could not shake the idea of eating lasagne for breakfast. My arms took on a life of their own and they rose up from the sides of my body to reach the pan on the top shelf of the refrigerator.  As I lifted the pan down and placed it on the countertop, a small-but-very-loud voice in my head kept screaming, "What are you doing?"  I ignored the small-but-very-loud voice and placed one piece of lasagne in a bowl and headed for the microwave.

Bad, bad, very bad idea.

Once the lasagne had been nuked in the microwave, my second wave of uber-foolishness occurred and I reached for a giant coffee mug, thinking a steaming mug of freshly brewed coffee would compliment the lasagne nicely.  Quite possibly.....at 6:00 p.m.in a Chicago diner but not at 8 a.m. in a Midwest condominium.

While I was eating the lasagne and enjoying my coffee, all was well internally and I gave little thought to the odd combination of foods so early in the day....until shortly after I had finished my culinary dalliance and then the honeymoon was over.  Heartburn - with heat so intense it felt like a six-alarm fire.

Of course, by now, the small-but-very-loud voice that I had ignored earlier was now laughing uncontrollably while shouting, "I told you so, I told you so.....but YOU didn't listen."

I learn the hard way.  I need a Food 504 Plan.

Ancora imparo