Monday, October 17, 2011

Creating More Work

Me thinks this fall "to-do" list that I have compiled for myself is getting out of hand.  The list was long to begin with and, to make matters worse, I keep adding to it.  I seem incapable of not picking up a writing instrument and adding "just one more" task.  As of last night, when the condo was filled with smelly smoke from my self-cleaning oven cycle, I was asking myself where my brain had escaped to. 

The day had begun early and with a bang - a good bang - but a bang nevertheless that left me a little tired-but-happy.  Napping was not an option so, after lunch, I turned to my fall, done-with-summer- get-reacquainted-with-my-home-back-to-reality list, determined to begin crossing off tasks.  This year my determination seems to be lacking and my feet seem to be mired in concrete when it comes to tackling minor-to-medium sized projects.  I can ignore a task that needs to be accomplished for days - or so it seems. 

I gave myself a good talking to, grabbed my list and a pen and set to work.  It was late afternoon when I thought (erroneously) to myself, "Why don't you clean the oven?"  Oven-cleaning was on my list and it was a task that I could have easily put off for a long time, but that was precisely the issue - I had put it off for a long time - and the time was now.  I searched for - and found - the oven operating manual (even though I was secretly hoping I would not be able to locate it), read the self-cleaning instruction part, pushed the right buttons, (Actually there are no buttons any more.  Now you push "places".) the unit locked itself, and the process began.  Not too long into the three-and-one-half hour cycle, the smoke that was predicted began to be emitted from the oven.  Real smoke and a nasty odor permeated the condo.  I didn't want to open the condo to the out-of-doors but when I walked into the first-floor master bedroom and noticed I was looking through a haze I sprang into action and opened up as many doors with screens as I could.  Soon a cross breeze was doing its best to push smell and haze out but then the condo became a little on the cool side.  I was thrilled with the coolness but Capt. SO is not a fan of being cold and he began to complain.  His protestations had to fall on deaf ears because clearing out the haze was more important than his body temperature.  (Heartless wench that I am.)

Today I am realizing that I simply created more work for moi because now the interior of the oven needs to be wiped out and the the oven racks are silently waiting for me in the laundry room - waiting for their turn to be scrubbed and polished. 

I should have taken that nap.

Ancora imparo