Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Funny Is As Funny Does

Have you ever wondered why people laugh at different things?  Why some comic strips appeal to certain people and not to others?  Why a greeting card can make one person guffaw and another yawn?

I just finished watching the blog posting of a friend who shared a two-minute video of professional models falling down.  The fact that these seemingly unflappable models could topple due to unseen forces shouldn't have been funny but I did find myself laughing - especially at the ones who just walked off a runway into either nothingness, water, or spectators.  In some cases it seems that lighting might have been dim enough to obscure where the edge of the runway ended.  Other falls seemed to indicate shoe failures and yet others looked as if the floor was slippery and BAM!, (Emeril Lagasse's favorite verb) these tall, leggy creatures went crashing to the floor.

Should I have laughed?  Probably not.

Yesterday I finally caught up on six days worth of comic strips I follow online.  I found myself laughing aloud and Captain SO looking over my shoulder in wonderment at how I could see anything remotely funny in some of the strips. 

Each to their own.

I laughed more in the last twenty-four hours than I have in months and, you know what?  It felt really good to laugh, although I do feel somewhat guilty at laughing at another's misfortune.

Today I am thankful for the sound of laughter.........................my own.  I haven't heard it for some time.

Ancora imparo