Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Chi Is Off

My Chi.  Sounds like a good Chinese dish, doesn't it?  I must say that the mere mention of Chinese food makes my mouth water!  There are no good Chinese restaurants near where Capt. SO and I float about.  Then again, with all of the arsenic/rice warnings abounding right now, perhaps Chinese is not what I should be salivating over.

First Chi Disruption:  Rice not good for you?  Practically un-American!

Second Chi Disruption:  Cooking (heating up, actually) sauerkraut in a small, enclosed space. 

I thought I had a great dinner idea to use up some sweet Italian sausage from our Aqua RV freezer.  I mean, at home, there would be nothing tastier than bratwurst-type meat simmering in a crockpot with sauerkraut.  Yesterday I discovered not-so-much on an Aqua RV.  Yes, the concept was appealing but when Capt. SO returned from wherever he'd been, he was feet away from Das Boot when he got this pained look on his face and he said to me, "What's that awful smell?"

First of all, that is not what you should say to your spouse (under any circumstances) when the dinner hour is near.

He proceeded to immediately open the cabin door and place a fan in front of it to try to draw out the sauerkraut "aroma".  I took the large pan off the stove, placed the contents in a covered casserole dish and took it to the outside back deck, where we could share the aroma with fellow boaters.  Fortunately for them, both slips on either side of us are empty (boats pulled out for the winter), and the people on the boats nearest us are not here.  Because I had nothing else planned for dinner, we spooned what we wanted on plates, heated the food up in the cabin's microwave for as little time as necessary, and then rushed the plates up to the upper deck, where the wind was whipping up to near gale-force anyway, easily wafting the aroma of sauerkraut far beyond our Aqua RV.

Final Chi disruption (for now):  Accepting the fact that floating season is over.

While this factoid is present each year, it never-the-less comes as a shock just the same.  The realization that play-time has eneded is akin to having the recess bell ring at school - signaling the sign that it is time to return to the classroom and hunker down, once again, for learnin', cipherin', and readin'. Our larders are slowly emptying and soon it will be time to begin a serious weight-loss program. Perhaps a daily diet of gruel, sauerkraut, and stone soup will be on the menu for some time.  In the meantime, I have pledged to Capt. SO NEVER to cook sauerkraut on Das Boot again.

Darn!  It sounded good - on paper!

Ancora imparo