Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hits and Misses

The business climate is risky, at best, these days with slim profit margins and a country full of nervous consumers, afraid of spending.  So, could someone please explain to me why a business would neglect business and profits or ignore possible profits?

My SO and I just purchased a freezer.  Because it is small, its purchase price did not make or break the bottom line of the store where the sale originated but, these days a sale is a sale is a sale.  We tried to purchase one from a national retail chain but they would not take an order over the phone, requiring, instead, the consumer to come into the store and initiate the transaction in person.  We knew we hat we wanted and did not wish to make the thirty-five minute drive.  Sale lost. We then called the locally-owned appliance store where we have purchased every major and some not-so-major appliances for the past twenty years.  Sure enough, they would allow a phone purchase, plus they had no delivery charge.  They made the purchase easy and got the sale.

Last Friday I went on an internet search for a bakery business whose product I had received as a gift the week before.  The bakery items were delicious and I wanted to order some of their products for the Thanksgiving Day 'stuffing'.  I found the business on the web and was delighted to note that you could place an online order but the ordering process was so complicated and convoluted that I finally wrote down a phone number and exited the web page. Strike One. Next, I picked up my phone and placed a phone call to the business.  The line was answered by a male voice on a generic phone message that gave no identifying business name.  In fact, there was no way to determine that I had even reached the business I was looking for.  Strike Two.  I left a phone message with my name, number and what bakery items I wanted to order.  This was four business days ago.  I have heard zip back from this fledgling business.  Strike Three.

This morning I was in a local, long-established business, well-known for its customer service and quality products.  What should I see but the exact bakery item I had tried to order via a phone message from the other 'place'.  I purchased three cupcakes.  Once settled in my car, I pulled out my cell phone and called the first bakery number.  Once again, the answering machine's male voice with a generic message came on.  Since the message gives NO clue as to the name of the business, or even if the consumer has reached the desired business, I left yet another message, canceling my original message/order, saying I had heard no response and had found an alternate product. Strike Four for this fledgling company that not only missed my sale but probably lost future sales because I would not recommend this business to anyone else.  The product is great but the sales process is terrible.

Strike Five and you're out.

Ancora imparo