Wednesday, August 22, 2012

If The Internet Says So.........

Television commercials.  You either gotta love 'em or hate 'em.  Most of the time I walk away to do a task or push the "mute" button because the majority of commercials are a waste of the human brain.  Occasionally, a company will release a memorable commercial where the viewer can remember BOTH the content of the commercial AND the product being advertised.  For moi, Farmers Insurance gets high marks - not sure why - but it does.

There is another commercial - not sure what product is being advertised - that portrays a woman speaking to a man about something and he asks her where she got her information from.  She replies "from the internet".  He replies something to the effect, "and everything you read on the internet is true" and she says, "Yes, because the internet says so.".  Then the woman tells the man she has to go because here comes her boyfriend...........whom she met on the internet.  This Neanderthal-looking goon walks on camera and the woman tells the man to whom she's been speaking, "He's a French model."

Yes, the internet is full of information, some true and much erroneous.  There is current chatter about the next "blue moon" coming on August 31, 2012.  Various internet sites do cite the next blue moon's appearance as August 31, 2012, but little accurate information on where it will appear geographically seems available.  But.................it must be true.  The internet says so.

Do you ever feel as if "The Internet" has taken on a life of its own, complete with a name (The Internet) and a personality?  We speak of "The Internet" with almost hushed, reverent tones, as if it is a genius person with a doctoral degree in every discipline known to mankind.  Kind of an Einstein, Salk, and Mother Theresa rolled into one.

I admit that I do turn to "The Internet" when I get some body ache or anomaly.  For instance, the plantar fascia on my right heel is VERY angry at the moment.  So angry, for so long now, that it keeps me awake at night.  Last night was no exception so what did I do?  I turned to my friend, mentor and teacher, "The Internet" for information and advice.  At 1:30 a.m. I was glued to my laptop's screen, with my fingers clicking here and there, desperately trying to find information that would lead me to the conclusion that I already carried in my brain.  I only searched the sites that agreed with my preconceived self-diagnosis.  Today finds me worn out and exhausted.  Maybe I should turn to "The Internet" for help on how to alleviate tiredness?

I do not need "The Internet" to tell me that what I need is a nap.  Common sense 101!

Ancora imparo